Thursday, July 12, 2012

Sleeping Seizures - The Answer to What I Have Been Looking For

I am not a medical professional to truly understand the case of child. What I did in order to fully know things that are related to her illness, is by seeking the help of the internet, researching over and over again. Until I finally came across of one post I got from a website I subscribed in order to be informed of Epilepsy's updates. At http://www.epilepsy.com.

There have been times where I truly longed for an answer of what to call the type of epilepsy that had striked my kid. These are excerpts from the article I have read @ http://www.epilepsy.com/articles/ar_1063155671.

My kid's attack were signaled with stiffness of her body. Wondering why it was that way, for as far as I have noticed among other victims, they were moving abruptly, seemingly uncontrolled motions. So I was confused and asking if that was really a type of epilepsy. Now that I have read the above article, I have the answers. But cannot pinpoint which of these, but at least I have known that there really a sleep seizures.

"Awakening grand mal" Epilepsy. 

A generalized tonic-clonic ("grand mal") seizures, but they occur only just before or just after you wake up. Typically happen in the morning, but they can also occur when you wake up from a nap.

Frontal lobe seizures.


Brief (generally not more than 2 minutes) and sometimes violent. They usually or always happen during sleep and can be followed by brief confusion. Seizure medicines tend to work better in controlling them if they occur only during sleep.

Benign rolandic epilepsy (BRE).

Jerking of the face, limbs, or both on one side almost always begins during sleep. The child usually wakes up and is alert. Electroencephalogram (EEG) will be helpful to confirm the diagnosis. Check and get confirmation if your child really has BRE for it is always outgrown. Treatment is not always needed for seizures meds are effective at small dosage.

These were three of the types of seizures that I think had struck on my daughter. Knowing these types I think I have to really asked the doctors upon my visits next time, if which one of these falls under the case of my young daughter.

0 comments:

Post a Comment